The IPAF Operator course is the most popular course offered by IPAF. This 1 day course is designed to ensure that delegates can prepare and safely operate various types of MEWPs (mobile elevating work platforms).
The main categories of MEWPs are listed below – make sure you’re trained to operate the specific types of platforms you’ll be using on site:
- Static Boom (1b): Self-propelled booms (outriggers), trailers/push-arounds, vehicle-mounted platforms
- Mobile Vertical (3a): Scissor lifts, vertical personnel platforms (mobile)
- Mobile Boom (3b): Self-propelled booms
IPAF also have additional categories for Push Around Vertical (PAV) and Specialist machines such as Mast Climbing Work Platforms (MCWP) and Insulated Aerial Device (IAD).
• Awareness of different types of MEWPs
• Safe operation of MEWPs and limitations of use
• Pre-use checks, inspection and function tests
• Planning the route before operating the MEWP
• Travelling the route and manoeuvring the MEWP
• Setting up the MEWP for work
• Basic operational practice
• Achievement testing
• Selection and use of fall arrest equipment
On successful completion, delegates will be awarded an IPAF Certificate and Photo ID (PAL) card valid for 5 years from date of training.